Thursday, October 04, 2007

Karen Yelito is Awesome! (For Now)

You remember last year when I spoke of the glory of Lacey Smith concerning her exemplary prognosticating in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament? No? Fine, here’s a hyperlink. After 500 words of explaining her excellence, she went on to…well…NOT WIN You’re a Bracket II. That honor was bestowed upon Mike Nordberg, who managed to get the LEAST amount of games correct, and then hit the overall winner, Florida in the final. His pick of the Gators gave him 32 points, which he miraculously used to overcome the 31-point deficit he faced. Amazing.

(Apparently, this was Mike’s One Shining Moment, as he chose to “ride on a fancy submarine” over “defend his title.” He is noticeably absent from this year’s festivities.)

So all I'm saying, is that just because you're in the lead for the time being, it doesn't automatically confirm that you will be crowned the You're a Bracket III champion. And of course, we would like to feature the excellence of those in the driver's seat, so we'll do it. Just keep in mind that this is far from a coronation.

I give you Karen "The Coffee Machine" Yelito!!!

With only the Final Four standing in her way, Karen has amassed an impressive 101 points to date. If she goes perfect in the last three games, she could end up with 165 out of 193, easily a record for the YAB tourneys of the last three years. Her secret? It's all in the method.

  1. Sit down with an empty bracket.
  2. Crank some Journey.
  3. Let the music be your guide.
I have no doubt that the silky voice of one Steve Perry is what has propelled Yelito into our top spot. She never Stopped Believin' in Xavier. She welcomed Louisville into the Elite 8 with Open Arms. She rooted for Davidson Faithfully (at least for a round). Any Way You Want It, Karen Yelito had it this year. And with 3 of the 4 Final Four teams (sorry, Texas), she's got the right to brag.

Or does she?

With four teams, three games, and one championship left, there are 8 different scenarios that can play out next weekend. And while she may feel invincible, (what with her picks she made like 3 minutes before leaving for work that day), it's worth mention that Karen will be crowned thy champion in only ONE SCENARIO. For those of you scoring at home, here's how next week may unfurl.

If the final game is:

  • North Carolina over UCLA: The Coffee Machine is your winner
  • North Carolina over Memphis: David 'I Don't Want Your' Reif is your winner
  • Kansas over UCLA: Kelly "The Darkhorse" Liggett is your winner
  • Kansas over Memphis: Liggett's got the Jayhawk lockdown again
  • UCLA over North Carolina: Why, that would be CHRIS CONDON!!!
  • UCLA over Kansas: Tim "From 15th to 1st" Fischer comes out of nowhere.
  • Memphis over North Carolina: Greg "Just Winsky, Baby" is your man
  • Memphis over Kansas: Winsky gets the square.
It's far from over, kids.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

For the record. I HATE JOURNEY. If you know me, then you know this to be true. Apparently, Chris, you dont know me at all.

But also...I am awesome!

Nordberg said...

Yes, despite getting the Final Four exactly correct, the best I can do is 2nd (missing 1st by 2 measly points). And since that scenario results in my beloved Heels cutting the nets, I will root for that and settle for being beat by sheer genious.

Nordberg said...

Wow, I misspelled genius. Karen, you're a teacher, why can't I spell!!!!

Anonymous said...

It should be noted that I got off my fancy submarine literally 15 minutes after the polls closed. In a brief, off-hand e-mail between the time the polls closed and the games began I told Condon (half-jokingly) to just fill my bracket directly by seeds. Given the historic occurrence of all four #1's making it to the final four, if I had made those predictions in time, where would I stand in the competition?

Anonymous said...

p.s. I also called for UNC and UCLA to advance with UNC winning it all.