Thursday, July 06, 2006

World Wide Wed

Yes, my friends, the Internet is a wonderful place. It has made so many thing in my life easier. Without the Internet, I’d be completely unable to know the weather without turning my chair towards the window, know if I have any money without having to actually look in my wallet, exchange said money for goods and services without having to actually go to places of commerce, and of course, bring you the funny. But as we are no doubt coming up on my 1-year wedding anniversary, another brilliant feature of the Internet will now be investigated, and unless my mood shifts unexplainably sour, will be praised.

The wedding website.

Any schmo with a keyboard and fingers can get a website these days, and for any purpose. (Ok, that was narrow-minded of me. I guess you could use your head to type as well. Watch this. – yu76hhyt67goobok – see? Easy street.) Some people their corner of the Interweb to blog, while others attempts to sell their wares. But sometimes, when a guy and a gal love each other very much, they decided that their lives are to become one – and so will their websites.

The wedding website can be an extremely helpful tool in allowing friends and relatives know information about your upcoming special day. Katie and I employed the use of one of the pre-made versions at
www.weddingchannel.com back in the day. Hell, it’s actually still active. It’s one-stop resource for all things vendor, registry, directions, and the ever-popular “How We Met.” (Of course, it doesn’t please the court (read: Katie) that Wedding Channel also managed to blow my cover that in September I have to head up to Massachusetts to marry Sara Wells on the 16th.) (Or that when we attended Robbie’s wedding last June and I slipped out to use the restroom, I was actually in California marrying Julie Perata.)

God, I hope Sara and Julie Google their names to find this. That would be hilarious.

Our website was pretty basic, and loaded up (by means of the Wedding Channel) with all sorts of advertisements for stuff that I may or may not endorse. Where was my creative input? I had no idea I could have had sponsors. Why not Gatorade? Every wedding needs a good thirst quencher, and while tradition is nice, champagne doesn’t even have the electrolytes needed for a night of crazy dancing. And I have to think if EA Sports had gotten a banner ad or something I could have gotten hooked with some freebies here and there. (Note: a wedding website is for the both of you, so let the wife pick her sponsors, too. It’s only fair, considering she probably did all the hard work in setting up the website in the first place.) There will come very few times in one’s life that they will be sponsored, so I think that this would have been a brilliant opportunity. I’m not saying I wanted to have a tuxedo vest with a Best Buy advertisement on the back, but the wedding website? Yeah, that could have worked.

Since then, Jacques and Elizabeth had wowed the crowds with a beautifully constructed website courtesy of their West Coast brother. And now, as I have found out recently, my friends Justin and Kristen have also entered the World Wide Wed.

The link is
here.

This website, my friends is on the cutting edge of wedding guest interactivity! Guestbooks! Photo Albums! But most importantly, America, you can help the happy young couple make the toughest of tough decisions – where to honeymoon!!! Yes, with four stellar options if you click on the “Vote Now” Wedding Poll, you can decide where the Doctor formerly known as Cube and his lovely bride-to-be will spend their vacation.


(Now here’s the fun part. I know that Italy and Napa and Alaska sound really, REALLY, nice, but I think as the Readership YAB, we need to show them, as our wedding gift, how to make the Internet’s voice heard. So please go to the website and vote for Medford’s favorite neighboring suburb, Marlton. Let’s rock the vote, people, and let’s not tell Justin and Kristen what’s causing Marlton to become the feel-good vacation spot of the year! I’ll stop typing now so you can go DO IT.)

Note: Justin and Kristin, if you’re reading this, I’m clearly cooked. In return I promise not to tell the story at the wedding where one of you beat me with a broom when I was 11 and I promise not to “Inform” the DJ of the other's favorite CD from 6th grade.

3 comments:

Piranha said...

There really needs to be a write-in field in that poll. As in, "my couch". Hey, it's near Napa!!

Kristen said...

My favorite part of our wedding website is "our Wedding Quiz". We took many pain staking hours in creating it.

Oh and now Marlton is now tied with Italy as suggested "honeymoon spot". Sweet!!!

I suppose one of these days I'll get around to updating the site. I supposed I would actually have to plan wedding stuff to do that. Sighhhhh....

Congratulations on you (almost) one year anniversary!!!!! YAY!!!!

PS: shhhh the broom thing was an accident...

Anonymous said...

A licky Boom Boom Down!