Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sofa, So Good

I went shopping for two different things this weekend. And from my experience, I have concluded that the methods required for each purchase are completely opposite. Let me explain.

I went to the supermarket for cleaning supplies yesterday afternoon. The process for cleaning supplies is very easy. First, you know exactly what you are looking for. Second, that product is sitting on a shelf. Third, the price for that Windex is pretty standard no matter which supermarket you go to, give or take thirty cents. Pick up the product, take it to the front, pay for it, and go home. End of transaction.

The second shopping trip of the weekend was for something far more important: a new couch. The protocol for procuring a couch is far different from the above Windex scenario. To illustrate, let’s consider the Windex again. Had I implemented the couch technique there, I would have walked into the supermarket, found that the varieties of Windex are different from those in any other supermarket, tried out each bottle by spraying the frozen food doors, selected the Windex that “just feels right,” told the stockboy which one I want, filled out some paperwork, and expect the Windex at my door in 4-6 weeks.


Sounds simple, eh?

Fortunately, this all makes more sense for a couch. But I have to admit, even some of that is a little peculiar. Over the weekend, Katie and I went on such a mission.

When you arrive at a furniture store, it’s like walking in to somebody’s house. With the intention of buying their possessions. I’m glad this practice is limited to places of commerce. I can’t imagine having to go around my apartment and apply price tags to everything I own. Anyone who came in, from a friend to a missionary to a lost neighborhood kid could peruse the goods and opt to throw money down on the counter. Unless, of course, they choose to buy the counter.Now how do you know what couch is right for you and your place?

You may look at a couch and like/dislike the material, whether it be leather, vinyl, micro-fiber, twizzler, whatever. But when shopping, pay no attention to this. You can put any final finish on it, no matter what the floor model looks like (except maybe the twizzler. This is no Willy Wonka showroom.)

You may look at a couch and like/dislike the color, but again, it doesn’t matter as you can change that in design. Therefore, there shall be no ruling out of couches do to the fact that they appear neon orange, girly pink, or shimmering silver. All remain in play, and you’re just going to have to deal with looking a little silly evaluating it as an option.

It’s about the feel, stupid.


In order to effectively shop for a couch, you need to sit on the merchandise. After all, with comfort being the number one decision point, you just have to. Would you buy a car without test driving?

Now it may seem silly, but you need to kick back and relax in a large room with many other strangers walking around, who are thinking about doing the very same thing. Now I’m not saying fall asleep; (although I could), but don’t just sit on the couch like you are in a job interview chair. Slouch. It’s the only way you’ll ever know if this is the couch for you.

With a personal seating history that has included a couch with a plywood infrastructure and a 30 year old pullout that has deteriorating metal framing, it’s nice to see that the furniture industry has humored me with a good price on a new product. It’s no senior year Camm dorm couch, but it’ll do.

No comments: