Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Year in Movies, 2004

Now THIS is backdating.

Just before New Year’s Day last year, I took the opportunity to officially publish my Top Ten movies of the year 2003. Granted, at the time, a full year had past since 2003 had drawn to a close. But at the time, the rationale to post a Top Flicks of ’03 at the end of ’04 was simple. I don’t have the time or cash flow to see every movie as it releases to theaters, and if I think I’m qualified enough to put together a Top Ten, I need a little more time to catch anything I’ve missed on DVD. And so, my first annual Top Ten was born.

(I guess I have to do another one to make that “annual” thing true.)

After reviewing the list of 49 movies I saw in 2004, I instantly realized that 2004 was a much better year in movies than 2003. First Daughter, Surviving Christmas, and Eurotrip aside, I had a much harder time narrowing this year’s list down to 10. I could have put together a Top 20 and still been forced to leave movies the likes of Ray and Kill Bill Vol. 2 on the shelves.

Am I a movie critic? No. Movie critics, for the most part, are out to dissect the art of filmmaking. They often spend all their time comprehending the motives of a character of the directorial flaws and fail to ask themselves, “Did I enjoy this movie?” I view movies in the way I view a sandwich. I don’t look at each piece of meat, veggie, and cheese, and decided how well it has been utilized. I bite the sandwich and decide afterwards what I liked (the nicely-toasted French roll) and what I could have done without (horseradish. Who came up with that, anyway? It wasn’t the horses, I’m sure. And radishes can’t talk. What was I talking about again?) Oh yeah, the Movies of 2004.

  1. Million Dollar Baby – The second straight year I’ve picked an Eastwood-directed movie as number one. Doesn’t look like he did anything in ’05, so there will be a new helmsman at the top for ’05. Unsung scene: Morgan Freeman stepping to the aid of Danger in the ring.
  2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – One of the most original movies I’ve ever seen. Why Charlie Kaufman is the best known writer in Hollywood.
  3. Hotel Rwanda – Of all the movies, this one glues me to my seat. It’s that movie of the year that you know was so incredible but so very sad. Well done, Don Cheadle.
  4. The Passion of the Christ – This doesn’t mean I want more movies in Aramaic, it just means that Gibson captured perfectly the essence of Christ’s gift to the world.
  5. Collateral – Every year there seems to be a movie that’s just cool. Michael Mann wins the title again, and Tom Cruise didn’t jump on any furniture in the flick.
  6. The Aviator – A tad on the long side, but it was the best biopic of the year, despite Jamie Foxx’s best efforts. This is a Hollywood movie in full force.
  7. Miracle – The story of the 1980’s Olympic hockey team had a story tailored for the big screen. It’s nice to see that an competent production team was able to tell it in all its glory. Best hockey movie ever.
  8. Sideways – The reintroduction of the character-driven movie. I would love to see Alexander Payne go on a run of good movies, a la Woody Allen in the seventies. Very funny.
  9. A Very Long Engagement – Probably the only time in my life a French movie makes the list. Also probably the only French movie not to star Gerard Depardieu.
  10. In Good Company – Now THAT’s a good date movie.

Honorable Mention: Finding Neverland, The Incredibles, Spider-man 2

No comments: