Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Not enough hours in the day...

That's right - it's Wednesday, which means I had way too much to do to get the blog done for those East Coasters looking for an interesting and relevant diversion at work. Because the day ends in a four hour brainbath of knowledge in Alexandria, much of my discretionary time during the day ends up getting devoted to finishing up last minute homework and making it abundantly clear that once the clock hits five, I can do nothing more at work. After all, there's no time like Beltway Time, and I'm afraid all matters have to get put on hold until I'll fire up the Laptop of Foom tomorrow (I went back to changed Foom to my originally intended 'Doom', but I kind of like how it sounds. That machine has lacked a name for too long. Now thanks to a late night blogging session, it's Foom.) (Longest parenthetical note ever.)

Now just because I phone it in (I learned from the best.) when 5 comes around does not mean that my e-mail inbox follows suit. For some reason, people wait to request the most ridiculous information the minute I put my jacket on. Oh, and they want said information 5 minutes ago. Here's a snapshot of what I have waiting for me tomorrow...

"Chris, how many square feet of space are built into the FY '06 Columbia Gateway Pool/2nd floor 7125 Pool and how much rent dollars this equates to.. Sorry to be pushy, but I need to know soonest. Thanks! - Toni Nylander"
- This one's a big liar. This is the person who procrastinates until the moment when she needs something and then all of a sudden it gets moved to Def Con 47. She can wait 'til morning. After I get a bagel. And do a crossword puzzle. And then create my own crossword puzzle. Using the Gaelic alphabet.

"David Kovalev has read your e-mail titled, "Germantown Credit."
- Then you have people who wait until you're gone to read the topics that you need information from. I have a read receipt function turned on, meaning I know the absolute instant someone chooses to grace my words with their ocular presence. Gee thanks, Dave. If I don't get a response by morning, I'm going to be waiting at your desk with the Laptop of Foom.

"Please review this rate summary spreadsheet for accuracy. Thanks, Joel Kovalchuk."
- Gotta love people on the west coast. By the time they get to work, I've already gone through my morning e-mail, planned a location for budget alterations, beaten all of my coworkers in Jenga, written the blog, and have been eyeing Greg's danish for a good two hours. Nice of you to catch up with the rest of us, Joel. You can't send stuff at 6:58 pm and expect an immediate return. Unless your question is, "What channel is the Daily Show on?"

...I'm counting about 7 e-mails regarding my marketing class' project. That's pretty impressive since at the time of sending, I am pretty sure I'm sitting within 25 feet of every sender in a classroom in Alexandria. Something's not right here...I think I'm going to blame the IT department at GW. One - I've never met 'em. Two - they don't read the blog. Three - You're a blame. (Oh no he didn't!)

See what I have to look forward to tomorrow? Rock, rock on.

* - Real identities and names have been replaced with the last niames of National Hockey League players. Figured no one would mind, since 252 of them at in Europe. Y.A.B. - not yet converted to metric.

** - Beating everyone at Jenga may have been an exaggeration. That pirate from PR has quite the steady hand.

No comments: