Monday, February 20, 2006

Bridal, Beware!

(Before we start, don't forget about registering in "You're a Bracket." Scroll down for more.)

Frankly, I just don’t get it.

Marriage is supposed to be a joyous occasion in the lives of a man and his chosen wife. There should be a celebration of their love, with those who support their endeavors all around, and everyone should be able to look back on that day and think, “Man, that is where their best days of their lives began.” The traditions of a wedding alone should give the rest of the world hope in society, and happiness that these two souls have found each other. And yet, while I was sitting at breakfast this morning, I overheard a conversation at the adjacent table that, honestly, has got me a little frightened.

I mean, it seemed like a normal enough conversation. I wasn’t intending to overhear each and every word, and I didn’t. I feel like I’d catch every other word. That’s what happens when you eat cereal for breakfast. With every Honey Nut that went Crunch, it was like hitting the mute button on th couple of businessmen to my immediate right.

The conversation itself meandered from topic to topic. Talking about the weather is point of silliness in San Diego, California. “Lovely weather we’re having, no?” “Yes, and while we’re at it, it’s good to see that gravity continues to exist.” The dialogue touches on many other places, from March Madness holding first round games downtown (more on that tomorrow) to the crazy convention that has engulfed the lower lobby area of the hotel for the past few days. But the one man’s parting words have got me puzzled, which is why I am writing today.

“Beware…”

I mean, what could this guy have against marriage. Both men were wearing wedding rings, and even though they were away from their respective spouses (so it seemed), there was no talk about how hard they had it on the homefront. Surely, a diatribe about one of their significant others’ could have replaced the weather chat, no? But then again, this man’s statement, focusing his problems with the women of the wedding to this particular month, makes me feel that it’s not marriage he has a problem with. Just the wedding itself.


(pause…finishing my cereal now)

Ok, I’m back. I can’t recall ever attending a wedding in this third month of the calendar year? I’ve been to my share in the last several years, and they’ve spanned the summer, the fall, and even an occasional winter gala. And regardless of all of those weddings, I have to think that March would be just fine! The advent of spring, the good luck associated with St. Patrick’s Day, and all of the chaos and unexpected events focus themselves on that basketball tournament, not on any couple’s exchange of marital vows.

So puzzling, this is.

Planning a wedding is extremely stressful for the woman, and there has been lore of “Bridezillas” freaking out the world. But is that what this man was referring to as he bid is breakfast meeting mate adieu? Is there a disastrous wedding in the works in this very hotel? I’m completely stumped. Why would this guy say…

“Beware the Brides of March!”

Oh wait. (checks the date on wristwatch) Um, nevermind.

Stupid cereal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! That's punny.