Thursday, February 16, 2006

YAB = You're a Bracket.

I wish I could say I was a die-hard college basketball fan. The guy who watches every non-conference match-up in hopes of gleaning any insights for this time of year. The one who can name the backcourt of every squad from the Atlantic to the Pac 10. That genius who could GW’s fantastic season of Maryland’s disastrous one. But I’m not that guy, nor do I want to be. When it comes to March Madness that guy finishes sixth.

One spot behind me.


I am by no means a NCAA Championship Bracket Champion. I only got a B+ in Bracketology back in undergrad, and I just don’t have what it takes to be the Drew Lachey of the Big Dance. (I promise that will be the only Drew Lachey reference YAB will EVER Make.)

Like I referenced
last year, when it comes to filling out my bracket, I’m pretty good. I pay attention to the conference tournaments, I have a Sports Center-level of knowledge of who is good this year *Villanova* and who isn’t *Kentucky.* I normally am very proud of a big upset that I magically predict, but disappointed in two others I had also carded. I’ll be a master of the first two rounds, and then be completely out of my league when it really starts to count. That’s me, your March Madness 5th place finisher.

If everyone in your office pool were one of this year’s Academy Award movies, I would be the one they call “Walk the Line.” A strong contender, with some very good qualities, and everyone can look at and go “Wow, they made some great choices there in the beginning, but I just wanted something more at the end.” While the later-year Cash is playing at Folsom Prison, I’m waiting for UConn and Gonzaga to square off in the final year. Too bad the right answer was Crash, and not Cash, and the actual title game was between UNC and Illinois. But hey, Reese Witherspoon was great and so was the fact I picked Manhattan to upset Florida. Oh well. 5th is nice.

What does this all mean, Condon?

Since last year YAB completely slept on coverage of the NCAA March Madness tournament, we’ve decided to make up for it by launching a competition of our own.

YAB = You’re a Bracket.

Hosted by
fantasysports.yahoo.com, You’re a Bracket will give the loyal readership of YAB a chance to compete for bracket supremacy, with updates amidst the funny bringing. The winner will get bragging rights, and their identity and Bracket nickname posted on YAB’s sidebar for the year, beginning our new feature “Roll Call of the Awesome” (RCA). You can brag to your friends that there’s now one more place you can be found when you google yourself. All you have to do is click on the link below, and pick away. We’ll do a tourney preview on Thursday once everybody’s picks are in.

Did I mention this is free?

Link is
http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com
Create a Yahoo ID (if you don’t have one.)
After you name your pick sheet, click to Join a Group.
The Group ID is 57386, and the password is “bringthefunny.”

See you there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Consider me in...I've been afflicted with a madness (uncontrollable urge to fill out brackets and dependency on cell phone highlights). Hopefully if I win it will stave off anticipated abuse for failure to deliver the OGC in a timely fashion.
/Phillips