Monday, December 06, 2004

Gotta go for the W, Gordo...

The teams of You're a Blog - more W's than the World Wide Web.

With the lone exception of "Ig Wants Touchdowns," my fantasy team dealt a crushing blow by the Sackville Bagginses, (don't worry, I'm playoff bound), this was a very good weekend for all teams Condon. Allegiances, both old and new, found themselves in the tight fist of the upper hand, and now I can revel in their collective success.

Sports are a red-target topic around the water cooler in the office. Actually, we convene more frequently not by the water cooler, but by our department printer. While our printers may not have most excellent names, they do provide a sanctuary to recap co-workers' weekends, what we should expect in the days to come, and most importantly, the new weekly excuses for the Redskins poor play, since we can't criticize the lord and savior Joe Gibbs (yeah, I know they won. But it was the Giants. The SanFran Giants could beat them right now. Hell, even the JollyGreen...) When everybody's team has a good week, it's a pleasant conversation. When someone is on the long end of the losing equation, it becomes rife with awkward pause and reflection on how much happier I would be if I was sitting at my desk right now.

And here, is how to rock the sports page like it's going out of style.

William and Mary - When I talked to my parents on Saturday, they mentioned that it was over. 31-10 at halftime, Delaware had made it clear that they would like to continue defending their national championship. In the quarterfinals of the Div I-AA, the Tribe had gone into their home game thinking they had a shot to advance to the national semis for the first time in the College's 311 year history. As for me, I casted off this news in regret and went back to working on my stupid statistics project.

It looks like my stupid statistics project unleashed some karma of legendary proportions. Sure enough, what was a 31-10 Blue Hen lead became a 31-31 dead heat as time expired. That only means one thing (no, not punching a hole through my stats computer in glee. (Almost happened.)) - OVERTIME! Two rounds later and a incredible defensive stand, Tribe 44, Blue Whens? 38. Up next, James Madison comes to Zable next Friday night. And if it weren't for my SAIC holiday party, I'd be there.

Tribe Football - Knocking out one Smith Family Alma Mater at a Time.

Philadelphia Eagles - Ok, since I let Tribe Pride take over my keyboard, I'll keep these shorter. Eagles 47, Packers 17? Is this a misprint? Did Brett Favre get caught in Schuylkill traffic? Will Andy Reid wear the tights? With Atlanta getting shutout and the CHICAGO BEARS downing the Vikings, is there anyone in the NFC to play? Can Condon just keep rattling off questions? Is the answer yes? Will this ever stop?

Breathe.

George Washington Colonials - I don't know much about 'em, but I know they beat Michigan State and Maryland in basketball this weekend. We must be good at defeating "M" teams. Up next, Mongolia. Bring it, Genghis.

DC Salsa Sharks - Winning streak back on track in the Condon Family Football League. Will take on archrival Jersey Guys for the division crown next week. Winner take all. Oh, and I have some bad news Mr. C. My QB-WR tandem of McNabb and Owens - yeah, they're playing the Redskins next week. Sorry.

2 comments:

Piranha said...

Thanks, rub it in. Why don't you just mention that my Golden Bears got screwed outta the Rose Bowl, too??! Huh?!? Punk, wanna make something of it?!?!?

I gotta cut down on the caffiene....

Anonymous said...

Football trivia...

WWI
+WWII
_____
WWIII

Name the character, the episode and the final score.