Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The Year in Movies, 2003

No, you haven't entered a time warp.

It is traditional practice for film critics to publish their "Best of the Year" Top 10 lists when, well, the year draws to a close. It's easy for them. They see all the movies for a living, and when it's time to sing Auld Lang Syne, they can pick the best ones and publish their list for all to see and to debate. For us casual movie fans, who have to balance more responsibilities then just opening and closing the balcony, it's not that easy. We don't have the money or time to see everything we need to see when the movies come out, but rather have to rely on diligence in catching flicks in second or third-run avenues. Therefore, when the year ends, there's a good chance that the list would be a tad incomplete. And so, I wait.

Until now.

A year has passed since 2003 drew to a close, and I've been busy doing my cinematic homework. Catching all the movies I hoped to see before the year ended, and now I can finally publish my Top 10 of 2003. You see, I have found in my short time in the blogging world that Top 5 or Top 10 lists are tricky propositions. I feel that only once someone has a working grasp of the entire category can one publish a definitive list. For example, I couldn't publish a Top 5 Countries to Visit list here, since I've only been to, like 7 countries. There's over 200 more out there that I would need to visit in order to make the list valid. (Top 10 Players in the Mighty Ducks trilogy, however, that I could do.) So, with that said, I feel I have seen enough of 2003, all that I wanted to see, and can now reveal the list. I've also listed the one scene that makes the flick. Enjoy.


  1. Mystic River - Tim Robbins' vampire speech by the light of the television to Marcia Gay Harden.
  2. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The battle sequence to end all battle sequences.
  3. Big Fish - I love the sequence in the town of Spectre.
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - The pirates walking on the bottom of the ocean.
  5. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Anything with Bettany in it, most notably the surgery scene.
  6. In America - Djimon Hounsou at Halloween.
  7. The Last Samurai - Cruise and Watanabe's exchange about Custer in Watanabe's chambers.
  8. Once Upon a Time in Mexico - Pistolero sequence. Enough said.
  9. Cold Mountain - It's a simple scene, but the Natalie Portman/Jude Law scene is worth the watch.
  10. Pieces of April - Such a small film, such a big ending.

Honorable Mention: X2, The Cooler

1 comment:

Piranha said...

Whoa, Pieces of April, I almost forgot about that film. Which is unfortunate, 'cause I liked it a lot, too.