Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Economics of Blogging

Life is full of choices. Some are simple, some are not. It is a simple decision for me to drive my car to work, as opposed to break into my neighbor’s vehicle and drive it to work. The reason, as every economic textbook will scream at you, is opportunity cost. By taking my neighbor’s car, I may avoid for one more day refilling my own fuel tank. By taking my own car, I may avoid grand theft auto being permanently linked to my name and Social Security Number. Advantage: Condon’s Accord.

An example of a difficult decision is whether or not to allow YAB drop its blog deficit. As you’ve probably noticed by now, I’ve been backdating posts for a little while. Four days behind happened as a result of a particularly taxing year-end at work, the monkeywrench of having three-day weekends, and one fierce case of blogger’s block. This leaves us with an economic decision to make here. And as a private company, You’re a Blog Incorporated sees this decision as internal.

Before we get to that decision and the evaluation of the different options, let’s put one reader in his place. To the one who claims to be one of several shareholders in the financial stake of YAB Inc. (He would spell it “steak”, if you needed a clue.): let’s get one thing straight. The only stakeholder in the financial well-being of the blog is Chris Condon, Editor-in-Chief and Chief Awesome Officer. In order for there to be shareholders in this company, shares must have been issued at some point between 7/27/04 and now. If you can produce the documentation, then please come forth, good sir whistleblower. We do have legal council, and he’s a black belt, so if you would like to pick a fight, be our guest. Until then, the Board makes all executive decisions, as per the Condon Rules. (And he sure does.)

Ok, back to the topic at hand. In order to combat this blog deficit, our crack team of economists has developed three solutions to pull YAB out of this whole back dating issue. Yes, it has been a little unsettling to recap the NFC Championship game before kickoff, or countdown the best Super Bowl Commercials even before they were aired. For archival purposes, it’s thrown the blog for a loop. An ultimatum must be, uhh…ultimated. Rock.

Solution Number 1 – Just like a disposed asset, write off the missing blogs as growing pains, and move forward with proper dating techniques. But at what cost? There is no salvage value of a blog that was never written, much like an airline seat that was never filled before takeoff. However, this method would allow the proverbial plan to take off at the right time from this departure forward. Seems like a viable option. Except for the fact that Condon can no longer pride himself on the fact that he writes a daily. And that, dear readers, is something we are just not ready to do. Executive decision: REJECTED.


Solution Number 2 - Rather than allow the four days to drop to the bottom line, post four times in succession without any constrictions to length or quality. Consider posting interesting articles and/or shortened musings and count as a day's worht of post. Benefits of this solution is that, just like Solution Number 1, it wipes the slate clean, allowing Condon to once again not feel guilty about writing about time-lapsed topics. (Ex. Would have seemed silly to publish my 1 on 1 tell-all interview with Groundhog Phil on February 6.) However, readers of YAB would not and should not stand for subpar efforts from their daily visit to the blog, and this owuld negate some of the marketing slogans we've been developing. Just imagin the revisions... "YAB - Where we bring the funny, at least most of the time." or "YAB. Bringing Mediocrity to the Internet!" Face it, I'm my own toughest critic. Executive Decision: REJECTED.

Solution Number 3 - Continue the current course. Strive to get those 4 delinquent horses into the stable. Produce four high-quality blogs, that do not decline in value, even though they will enjoy top billing on the site for a matter of hours, instead of a full day. Pros - I may do it for my own sense of self-satisfaction, but at least quality doesn't decrease. Also, once caught up, can again fully claim to be a daily that brings the funny. As a result of extra hard work, be perceived asthe Cal Ripken Jtr. of the blogging world. Executive Decision: ACCEPTED.

And just like that, 1 down, 3 to go.

2 comments:

Chris Condon said...

Mr. Caro,

First, we would like to applaud your latest letter of correspondence. Only 3 mis-spellings is a grand achievement.

And now some things you would know if you were who you say you are:

1. There is no CEO of YAB. Just a CAO. We found no need for a CEO, since very little is needed from an executive branch. So we have no idea who this other person the letter is addressed to is. A "Chairman of the Board" would know this.

2. Making up funny stories about my gametime demeanor is a good time. Hey, I've got one too! "I remember the time when I had a unicorn and the Easter Bunny come over to watch some game film for the upcoming soccer match. After that, we watched a incredible movie called "A Knight's Tale."

Are we sure we're not looking in a mirror, good sir? I'm looking around my desk for all my yellow cards and flagrant fouls, but I can't seem to find any. Weird. Cool as ice. (Oh, and by the way, I RAN the practices, and you missed a few. You owe me some laps, mister.

3. How can you "buy, sell, and trade" shares of YAB that were never issued? Hey, while you're in the market, can I sell you a box of air?

As for your contractual argument, I've got sponges that can hold more water. You'll be hearing from my legal counsel sometime soon.

Sole Proprietor,
Chris Condon

Nordberg said...

Although I've never been approached by the CAO to act as a CFO (I'm assuming a CAO pretty much encompasses all the roles of the CEO, COO, CFO, CIO, CMO, FAO Schwartz, so my services are not needed), I thought I'd give some thoughts. For there to be shares of YAB, and for that matter a board of directors, YAB must be a public company. I think we would all agree that Chris Condon alone was the founder of this company, which would make YAB at its inception a sole proprietorship, as almost 95% of American companies are at inception. The other 5% are partnerships or companies that start public through a spin-off. For YAB to go from private to public, there had to have been an Initial Public Offering, or IPO, in which the shares of YAB were valued and sold to the markets. I don't recall there ever being such an IPO. So YAB is still private. Mattias' services to Condon during the school year could only be described as outsourcing. Perhaps Mattias can lay claim to owner of Amazon sports, but a fail to see how that translates to the seperate business of one of his players. Sorry Matty, you'll have to buy shares of YAB on the open market like everyone else if they exist. And if Condon did go public, I'm confident he kept in his possession a controlling stake of shares.