Tuesday, February 01, 2005

No Regrets

"I'm sorry, man."

The number of times co-workers have walked by my desk this morning and uttered these three simple words of consulation is uncountable, and as for reasoning for said uttering, I can't be exactly sure. Apologies are for those with reason, and for the life of me, I cannot find any reason for people to be paying their heartfelt respects to me. It's not like I'm wearing an ugly tie. If I were, I'd be the one apologizing, not them.

After casting aside a laundry list of possible motives for coworker apologetics, I'm left with only the result of Super Bowl XXXIX, where the Philadelphia Eagles fell victim to the New England Patriot Dynasty, by a slim three point margin. I watched the game, in the good company of friends and food, and from my personal football watching experience, and I saw everything from kick-off to the final Rodney Harrison interception. Granted, it was not the end result that I would have preferred, but I'm sure not sorry about the Pats' lifting their third trophy in four years. Sorry? For what?

As we close the book on another season of the National Football League, I have no regrets. And Eagles fans, neither should you.

I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry that the Eagles got over the hump of the NFC Championship Game and made it to only their second Super Bowl in my lifetime. I'm not sorry that Terrell Owens can put all of his money where his mouth is and scorched the New England secondary for 9 catches for 122 yards. I'm not sorry that Brian Westbrook is quickly becoming the one of the most dangerous receiving backs in the NFL. I'm not sorry that Andy Reid's crackpot coaching move of benching his starters for the last two games of the season paid off big time with wins over Atlanta and Minnesota. I'm not sorry that Jeff Thomason just got the story of a lifetime to tell his grandkids when he gets old. I'm not sorry that the Eagles have wonderful, vibrant personalities on their team like Donovan McNabb, Brian Dawkins, and Dhani Jones, and even if they did fall short, they give the best fans in the United States hope each and every season.

We may not have won the Super Bowl, but hey, we were there. You hear that, Redskin fans?

I pick on this faithful crew primarily because I have geographically staked my flag in that enemy territory. Wearing an Eagles hat to class on Saturdays may draw the ire of the local home team fanbase, but I'm not sorry about that either. I just got to watch the Super Bowl with the team I know every player and number for, from Keith Adams to Dexter Wynn, and DC did not. And go ahead, remind me that you have three Vince Lombardi trophies in the case, and I'll remind you that you only had two wins for each trophy you have in 2004. Oh, and you lost to Cleveland.

Resting on your laurels is great. See "Great Britain, 1776" for other example.

You're a Blog, a proud sponsor of the Philadelphia Eagles, would like to congratulate the New England Patriots on their victory in Super Bowl XXXIX. What a classy organization.

As for Eagles Nation, let's here one more time...

"Fly, Eagles, Fly!
On the road to victory!
Fly, Eagles, Fly!
Score a touchdown, one, two three!
Hit 'em low, hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles Fly!
Fly, Eagles, Fly!
On the road to victory!

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!

No comments: