Thursday, September 02, 2004

Back to School

***This post will have absolutely nothing to do with the 1986 comedy starring Rodney Dangerfield. To me, his comedy is like the nails of Fran Drescher on a chalkboard made of sandpaper, while the music of Michael Bolton is playing in the background. If you would like this post to be about the aforementioned subject, go see Garden State, it's much better.***

And so it begins. Last night, I had my first full session of coursework for my MBA. The classes this semester are at the Alexandria Graduate Education Center, or for short, A.G.E.C., or for shorter, "the Geck". Getting there after work was not bad. Although, in the future, one fool on his cell-phone crossing the Wilson bridge could ruin me (since my exit would be right around the back-up) Not because I'd be late to class, mind you; I'm leaving work at 4:30-4:45 on Wednesday to ensure I get there by 6. But because of the free food. GW is catering all my classes, providing sandwiches and salad on Wednesday nights and breakfast on Saturday mornings. This makes my life so much easier, and less hungry. In fact, I would like to suggest to the following organizations to cater other parts of my life.

  • VDOT - At the corner of Gallows and 7, would it be that hard to have a tray of soft pretzels? Would make commuting home much better. (Oh, and at Gallows and Courthouse, I'd like the fixins bar (for the mustard, of course.)
  • DC Metro - The Dunn Loring station is a long, open stop with plenty of room for concessions. I'm thinking, (since I'm on the go), that a walk-up hot dog stand would be nice. And I'm talking gourmet dogs, no city vendor carts here...Smart Trip cards accepted.
  • Dominion Towing - I pay you guys enough money to jailbreak my friends' cars, can a man get some cheesecake?!?

And when the food was one, the class began. Financial Accounting may not sound that appealing to all of you, but what if I abbreviated to FINACC and changed the color to pretty green? So, FINACC is really going to be my chance to get ahead, since it's, well, my job. The professor has a sense of humor, and decided from Day 1 that he needed to single someone out to pick on mercilessly of the course of the course. And he picked one of the 2 annoying girls. Well played, Singleton.

Statistical Analysis is a different story, no pretty green for this one. Stats has a decent professor, and a good structure for the course, but at the end of the day (which, mind you will be 10 pm on Wednesdays), it's still confusing statistics. We've been through one class, and yet no mention of ERA, QB Rating, save percentage, or a probability that Baby Geniuses won't learn from a $3.3 mil opening and will make it a disasterous trilogy. The prof works with Powerpoint and insists on dimming the lights...at 8pm...and I'm sleepy...I think I need to rig some timed explosives to keep it interesting...yawn.

One final note - I've already arranged to drive a classmate home on Wednesday nights in exchange for the 3 bucks it costs to park under the building each night. (From FINACC, that's a "decrease in expense") Multiply that by 15 classes...carry the 2...divide by isoceles...looks like I have the capital for that metro stop hot dog stand after all. And that, my students, is a lesson in entrepreneurship.

3 comments:

Throckmorton said...

Wait, wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that you don't like Statistics. But we had so much fun with Doc K, you yellow-shiny-shirted freak. And by mercilessly pickning on a student, do you mean telling her she looks like his dog?

Chris Condon said...

You have a good point. Next Wednesday, it's my Predators jersey, all the way.

No, she's named Maria, and is originally from Brazil. I can best describe her using this example from over the weekend. She's the one on the bus who feels compelled to repeat the announcement just in case someone did not hear it, but only because she's 'helping'...Eeesh.

Piranha said...

"Condon is Agent of Choice for Quarterbacks"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55990-2004Sep2.html