Tuesday, April 05, 2005

For Food or Knowledge

Both of the above pursuits don't come easy. In fact, aside from SportsCenter's "Did You Know?" or the occasional free donuts in the company kitchen, neither are ever free. (Did you know that by the time Condon finds out about said donuts, all that are left are jelly? It's sad, but true.) And as I look at my most updated list of "Things I Need" (you know, right behind a 5-blog catchup day), both food and knowledge are near the top of the list, specifically speaking.

Now generally speaking, I do get measured amounts of both food and knowledge, but when you have an uberbusy week, those rations can only go so far. I go food shopping every 25 days or so. This means that I buy large quantites (think 64 slices of American Cheese) occasionally, rather than small quantities frequently. I also often purchase lunch at the famed SAIC Newton Cafe, which further accomodates my need for food. As for knowledge, I also have many intakes as well. Reading all y'all's blogs, IMDB news, sports, CNN, I learn new things every day. And if I'm lucky, I may even retain some of that information. I also learn via going to class (well, some of them) and the aforementioned "Do You Know?" (Do you know I'm rambling right now?)


But sometimes, food and knowledge don't come cheap. And since you all should be wary of your annual expenditures with tax deadline looming, I thought I'd do a little cost analysis study here on YAB's dollar. I have a fixed income; my paycheck isn't going to change no matter how many widgets I make. Which means once I pay the landlord, the cabledudes, the electricity brigade, and the gasman, I've only got X dollars left for the spending. (I get paid in letters of the alphabet. So sad.)

So what should I spend my X on this week? I have two options: food or knowledge. I haven't been to Wegman's in a while, and I'm out of many staples: bread, cheese, pickles, staples. I definitely could drop X at the supermarket, all in the name of pursuing food.

Or -

I could pay for knowledge. You see, I have this mid-term on Saturday, and I have yet to purchase the course-required text. Don't freak out - I take good notes and I am on top of things, but I'm sure said text would be what the smart kids call "a quality study aid"). Dilemma.

So in the world of cost analysis, I've got to evaluate the benefits that would be garnered from either purchase. Let's start with food. If I were to buy X amount of food, the following would happen. I would eat the food. No longer be hungry. Have additional energy. Be less tired. Take up a hobby. Like decathalon. Go to Olympics. Win a gold medal in the decathalon. Melt medal down for X dollars. Buy more food.

Ok, what about buying the text book. I read the book. I take the mid-term. Aced the mid-term. Coast for the final four classes of the semester. Have extra free time not used for studying. Take up a hobby. Like decathalon. Go to Olympics. Win a gold medal in the decathalon. Melt medal down for X dollars. Spend money on more interesting knowledge. Like Flyers season tickets.

But let's also consider the economics term of opportunity cost. What can be gained by not spending X dollars on each? (Ha! I told you I took good notes.)

If I don't spend the money on food, I need to finish eating all the food I do have until the next paycheck. This includes the following: cans of corn, apple sauce, mustard, ice cubes on a stick, salt and vinegard potato chips, and a whole lot of Steak'ums. It's not fine dining, but it could get the job done. OOH! And all the cooking spray I want!

If I don't spend the money on the book, I don't ace the test, but I still do well. I mean, I've got good notes. Look how detailed this sketch in the margin is of the Toucan Sam in a kickboxing match with the Pillsbury Doughboy! So good! And what about my plot outline for the future blockbuster, Cool Runnings 2: Back to the Minors! Wait. Maybe my notes aren't so good.

You make the call.

5 comments:

J-Vo said...

I'd have to throw my vote in with Mr. C. For such an intelligent young fellow I'm surprised you hadn't bought it already, or at least checked one out permanently from the library. Do they have it at the library? You only need it for a week. And I hate to tell you this, but I think those SteakUms are freezer burnt.

Anonymous said...

Forget both and buy stock in Brawny paper towels...it is your future...

Nordberg said...

Don't knock steakums. Condon makes a mean steakum.

Throckmorton said...

Food, good. Knowledge, good. This is impossible. Shame there's no edible textbook. That would be the best of both worlds.

Anonymous said...

This is your
mother speaking buy the book