Friday, April 08, 2005

We're Going to Overtime

There are times in my fiscal year calendar where the workload is at such a level that I could use a few more extra hours a week. These hours are even beyond staying at work late, because after all, you have to go home sometime - your bed/floor/kitchen table would miss you. Unfortunately, those times in the calendar are on days that end in Y.

Snap.

So what does this mean for a salaried employee? Absolutely nothing. If there's work to be done, then it must find a way to get completed. (Or, actually, you can not do it and eventually get fired. Let's face it, fire is hot, you don't want that.) (Remind me to tell you about my friend House sometime. He embodied case AND point.) And since I value getting home sometime before I have to go back, weekend work is not out of the question. And as long as the weather isn't nice yet, it's actually preferred.

Why, Chris?

An office can be a fun place to be when the rest of the worker bees have strayed from the hive. Crazy laser tag scenarios aside, there are many things that make a cubicle visit on a Saturday or a Sunday an enjoyable one. Now I'm not saying that working alone in a dark building when no one else is around is the best working conditions for the company as a whole, just the occasional overburdened employee trying to keep up with his inbox (both literally and electronically.) So if you are forced to come in on a Saturday, here are some reasons that may make that departure from your comfortable couch (for those with couches that are actually comfortable - lucky.) a worthwhile one.

So how does one go about turning his workspace into weekend warrior mode? Let's start with the notion of comfort. During the week, comfort is not neccessarily waiting in your wardrobe, as you don the dress shirt, slacks, and fancy shoes day in and day out. Well, friend, on the weekend, you can leave that fancypants attire in the closet, 'cause it's time to kick it casual. Just imagine sitting in your workspace in shorts. T-shirt. SANDALS. Yes, this dream can be true can be yours for the low low price of the freakin' weekend. When there's no one else to impress but the security guards at the front desk, I strongly encourage the casual. It should be noted that if you opt for the via de sandal, try and wear some with halfway-decent traction. Otherwise, you may find yourself slipping on the wet floors left behind by the janitorial staff. Twice.

Now, before you accuse me of some flagrant form of false advertising, I present the following caveat emptor (That's Latin, you know) Office buildings will likely, as a cost-cutting technique, turn down/off the HVAC systems at times when the building is not occupied. This means that your cubicle's air may be far from conditioned. Therefore, the casual attire may not only be comfortable, but also crucial.

Ok, now that you're not naked, you're ready to head into the office. And what treat is waiting for you! Rather than parking in the Basement Level 3 of your friendly neighborhood parking garage, being forced to climb endless flights of err...elevator, you've just been promoted. Park that car of yours in the famed "Reserved for Management" spaces. No one's going to tell you to move your car, as long as you gently explain that you are the Vice President of Awesome. (soon to be CAO). Trust me, it works.

Once you get to your desk, located in a darkened (and potentially haunted) department, you'll quickly realize that it seems your workplace has pressed the mute button. Other than the droning of the copier and the occasional fax alerting me of mortgage refinancing or grand Caribbean trips, (both for remarkable prices,) it's deathly quiet. It is your responsibility to inject some audio into the situation. Music is the likely choice, but you might as well take full advantage of your predicament. DVD. Just put in on for background noise, since the movie itself should be hidden beneath spreadsheets anyway. My recommendation: Die Hard. I can't think of another movie more fitting to align with your weekend working. (Assuming my large empty office building doesn't have its share of European terrorists) (But I will be running around barefoot once I lose these sandals) (Hmm.)


The reason I came in recently on a Sunday was to be on a conference call at one in the afternoon. Sure, I could have called from the confines of my apartment, but knowing my cell phone, I'd get more accomplished just yelling off my balcony and hoping the wind travels in San Diego's direction. But since I came in, I got to experience a completely different meeting. Rather than sitting around a conference room table, trying to look both informed and interested, I took the entire duration of the call in the best possible way: lying on my back.

Back to the floor is much more relaxing than back to the wall.

See? I told you coming in on a weekend isn't so bad. Like I said, as long as it isn't beautiful outside, you might as well- wait. Maybe I should check the weekend forecast...

Mostly Sunny. High of 73.

Ok, nevermind.

3 comments:

Trip Thomas said...

DuPont was closed on Christmas eve, but I wasn't. So I came to work...alone. It was terrifying! I swear there were murderers and monsters behind every corner...I only lasted an hour :-(

Throckmorton said...

I like working when there's no one else in the building. It's a little creepy, sure, but I don't have to hear one guy's eleventy billion Little League conversations (I think he coaches every sport his kid can play) or the guy on the other side clipping his fingernails. Very uncool office behavior. Plus I can turn my music up to a level I like - LOUD - and talk out loud to myself without appearing crazy. All good.

J-Vo said...

Working in the empty lab is definitely a plus. It's Dance Fever every night. It's pretty much understood that if you're in the lab past 10 pm, you're entitled to a private dance party. And J-Vo definitely brings the beats, european techno style. Of course raving is a little bit hard while manipulating a pipetman and E.coli cultures.