Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Hungry for Feedback

First off, the victims of Hurricane Katrina are in the thoughts and prayers of YAB this morning. While everybody likes a good storm, no one should ever have to be subjected to such massive levels of destruction and loss, and having visited New Orleans in the last year, YAB’s heart goes out to the residents of Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and beyond. For those looking to help, please donate to the Red Cross. Thanks.

Ok, pushing forward, another
story caught my eye on the CNN.com homepage this morning. This week marks the return to collegiate learning for many, this MBA student included. The first year of college for incoming freshman can indeed be an intense one. More homework, less sleep, more food options, less sleep, more free time to manage, less sleep, more freedom, less – you get the groggy picture. Well, according to the article, universities across the nation lately have been inundated with service calls, complaints, and requests regarding every facet of college life. Academics, housing, why the mustard dispenser in the dining hall is always empty – it doesn’t matter – college administration hears about it. This would be fine, if they were all coming from the students.

Nope.

Parents are making these calls into the school on their students’ collective behalf. Now I have no problem with concerned parenting, but when a mom calls the school because the plumbing is subpar – on her kid’s study abroad in CHINA – it’s getting out of hand. I propose that a Board of Absolute Ridiculousness be installed at all bastions of higher learning, where fines can be levied against the righteously dumb. Yeah you heard me, college needs one more B.A.R.

Sadly, this trend doesn’t stop at the gates of academia. YAB, too, has to deal with complaints on the most minute of issues on a daily basis. You may occasionally see them on the comments section, but we head most of them off at the past, directing such grumblings to the Customer Service Department. And today, and for today only, we’re going to let you peak into this pseudo-anonymous wail bag, so you can truly see just how finicky a blog reading public can be. Enjoy, and I don’t want to hear from any of your parents after the column.

“Umm, yes, I am calling to complain about the treatment about the fella at UNC who has been a great friend to you. The phrase “phoning it in” has become a bane and – uh, well, - eh, you get the picture. I’m going outside to play. – C.N., Chapel Hill


“What the heck is with the backdating? I have no idea what day it is or what to read and now I’m eight days late to all my appointments. – J.C., Media

“I want a column about how I’ve kicked your doors in over at Fantasy Baseball Land. About how it’s the playoffs next week, and Igfield Fly Rule has conceded the regular season to my glorious Army! I want some press!” – J.A., Georgetown

“Um, yes, I came across your site when I Yahoo searched “Ubercool Rob Harford.” Man, if I were Rob Harford (which I’m not, just a friend of his), I, I mean he would thank you for the accolades. That guy is awesome and available – ladies love me, uh, I mean him. – R.H., Newark

“I never lerned 2 reed or rite. Mor picturz pleays.” – M.C., Leesburg

“Great site, YAB. But you need more charcoal on the grill.” – J.R., Alexandria

“Coke is awesome, and if you don’t bring some home with you, YABbo, I’m going to install toasters, not toaster ovens, mind you, in every single room. So, HA! – K.C., the ‘fax.

“Wow, where’s the love? I’m Karen Yelito, the Holy Trinity of Cool, and I have a blog. How about some
linkage? – K.Y., Baltimore

“Uh, oh. Goats.” – S.M., Falls Church

“I'll give you a blog.” – everybody else, USA

1 comment:

Trip Thomas said...

I'm sitting here trying to think, did I write that? what do I ever use the term accolades? I don't even know what an accolade is? Is it a refreshing drink for the summer? like lemonade?