Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Fleeced Lightning

I lose my stuff all the time. Probably much more so that the average individual. The remote gets buried in the couch/chair/fridge at least every other day. My keys end up anywhere but the keyrack. Hell, I'm lucky to remember where I park my car at night without freaking out that it may have been unneccessarily towed. I've lost class rings in the woods, hats on airplanes, sandals on the Der Wirblewind. (sp?) But hey at least I haven't lost a Munch painting, right? Fortunately for me, the space that I occupy is never too big of an area to call in a search party. I live in an apartment. I have a car. My office is a cubicle. No matter what seems misplaced, it's more than likely not very far away. At least it's not the size of, oh I don't know, CANADA?

The most storied of professional sports trophies spent last night in a baggage claim in Vancouver. CANADA. Lord Stanley's Cup, the 35 pound silver symbol of victory for the NHL, made its most recent visit on the Tour of Champions to umm...Terminal A? For all you non - hockephiles, the winning team of the prior year's playoffs each gets a few days with the Cup, to do with it as they please. Most take it to their hometowns, which quite often, are in CANADA. Well, August 23 had the Tampa Bay Lightning's Head Scout's hometown of St. John on the Cup's boarding pass, but the voyage was ill-fated.

The Cup was taken off of the Air CANADA flight because of weight restrictions. I carried a 65 pound pack through Europe, and they let IT on the plane. (Granted, Jasen's bag was held over for hours in London, so my Irish luck isn't flawless.) I torn on who to blame for this bad stroke: CANADian luck, or Tampa Bay luck. Let's compare, shall we?

Worst thing that has ever happened to them:
TAMPA - The old orange uniforms of the Buccaneers
CANADA - Celine Dion

Hardest Thing to Pronounce:
CANADA - Nunavit
TAMPA - Vincent Lecavalier

Great Place to Retire:
CANADA - Prince Edward Island
TAMPA - The Devil Rays' dugout

Unneccessary Pop Culture Introduction:
TAMPA - Thunder in Paradise (was filmed there)
CANADA - Did I mention Celine Dion?


Personally, I think this one's to close to call. The vote is up to you.

2 comments:

Throckmorton said...

How about weather issues:
TAMPA: Hurricanes - lots of rain, weird names (who spells Charley this way? and don't forget Floyd), potential for being knocked out by things flying in the 100mph winds
CANADA: Avalanches - lots of snow, discussed by those with weird accents, potential for being steamrolled and suffocated

Edge: Tampa. While I have actually been through hurricanes (although admittedly not Class 4's), avalanches scare the bejesus out of me. Stupid snow.

Chris Condon said...

Slow class day?