Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Go, Speed Poster, Go!

Here's something new - I have NO idea what to write about today. Nor do I really have a whole lot of time. I finally got ot start my planning for next fiscal year today, and I am on a bit of a roll, so I shouldn't really take away from the time I need to calculate rent for SAIC buildings located here, there, and everywhere. (It's that last one that'll get you.)

So we're going to try an exercise in blogging proficiency today. I am going to say go, and then type for 6 minutes straight. (It's my lucky number.) Normally when I write, it's on and off while I do work for a half hour. But let's cut to the chase, and see what my fingers come up with today. I'm warning you, this could get weird.

GO!

I just realized how comical it is to tell all of you that I am going to say go in order to commence blogging. No one here in my occupational surroundings would have any idea of what I'm doing. Nope, there's Condon sitting at his desk, and he just yelled, "Go." Go is a simple word with many meanings. If people were in my office, I could be asking them to vacate, and the co-workers would understand. But no one is here, and now I'm the crazy guy who yells stuff. Who was he talking to, anyway? I know that his stapler has taken on personification in past events, but it tends to be a manual tool that requires physical execution and not words of encouragement. Nope, he's just crazy. Maybe it's the first grad school exam that's coming tomorrow. But hey, it's only accounting, and since it's what he does all day, there's got to be some room for creativity, right? I mean, professors and teachers alike grade papers knowing well enough that they are about to see 30 iterations of the same exact thing. So it's my job to throw a little bit of the funny into the mix. That's how you get remembered in a stack of essays. Bring the funny. The problem is that it's hard to bring the funny when under pressure, especially when you've convinced yourself that you have to bring the funny or your essay is a failure. Everyone has their default funny ideas. You got to have a location (Flagstaff, AZ), an animal (monkeys), and a uberwitty comeback/proclamation (You're a "pretty much anything under the sun"). So if I can convince Professor Singleton that monkeys can debit cash and credit accounts payable in Flagstaff, using the rationale that "You're a balance sheet.", then I see no reason to study tonight. Perhaps, I've brought the funny. Perhaps, I'm outta time.

Just like the Delorean's license plate.

1 comment:

Trip Thomas said...

I don't think monkeys would want to be in Flagstaff in the first place. They have all that hair and it's pretty warm in Arizona...and don't give me and of that "Oh, it's a dry heat" crap...Heat is Heat people! Even if it is dry it's still super dooper HOT. So yeah...no monkeys, but I might be willing to believe I'm a balance sheet.